Saudi citizen Attacks Al-Imam Al-Sadeq mosque

Saudi citizen Attacks Al-Imam Al-Sadeq mosque

Kuwait has identified the suicide bomber who carried out the country’s worst attack as a Saudi citizen, Kuwait state media reported on Sunday reported Al Arabiya News.

The interior ministry named the bomber as Fahd Suliman Abdul-Muhsen al-Qabaa and said he flew into Kuwait’s airport at dawn on Friday, only hours before he detonated explosives at a Shi’ite Muslim mosque killing at least 27 people and injuring 227.

On Saturday, Kuwaiti police arrested the driver who transported a suicide bomber to the mosque where he blew himself up, the official KUNA news agency said.

The driver, who was named as Abdulrahman Sabah Eidan Saud, was described as an “illegal resident” born in 1989, who took the bomber to the Al-Imam Al-Sadeq mosque in Kuwait City on Friday.

The bomber had been hiding in a house in the Al-Rigga district in the city’s southern Al-Ahmadi Governorate.

Authorities have also detained the owner of the house where the bomber was staying, a Kuwaiti national who subscribes to “fundamentalist and deviant ideology”, the agency said, citing a statement from the Interior Ministry.

Criminal act

The ministry said authorities will “continue efforts to uncover the conspirators in this criminal act and to reveal all of the information and circumstances behind it.”

Thousands of Kuwaitis on Saturday braved scorching summer heat to attend the funerals of 18 of the victims killed in the attack, the first claimed by Islamic State jihadists in the small Gulf emirate.

The bodies of the remaining eight victims were flown to Iraq’s Shiite holy city of Najaf for burial, State Minister for Cabinet Affairs Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah Al-Sabah said.

Mourners turned out in large numbers Saturday despite the Ramadan daylight fast and as temperatures hit 45 degrees Celsius (113 Fahrenheit).

Courtesy Al Arabiya News